Wednesday 16 October 2013

Broom (14)


BROOM (14)


I was white-washing walls (so the office looked bright) when the one with the hoola-hoop gave me a fright.

Collapsed in the corner she was, with her mouth a bit slack and her eyes almost crossed.

I said:

'hey, why not give that ring a quick swing?'

She said:

'I can't, I'm just feeling too thin.

'I am thinking too many portraits have been taken of me; the result is I'm feeling quite shaken. (My image is all and my soul is forsaken.) I'm blurred at the edges, you see. And, I'm no longer quite sure I'm me.'

I study her hard and I see what she's saying; she is out of focus, her seams are all fraying. The woman is wasting away. Her colour is gone; she's all grey.

I said:

'Well, please, no truck with the negative; you really have to be positive, and don't worry you're now monochrome. We can always hand-paint you, re-touch and highlight you. There's really no reason to moan. At worst, we can always gold-tone. Yes, that's what we will do to ensure that we fix you.

'And, if gold is too dear then selenium, I hear, will turn you a purplish-brown. (My God, why on earth do you frown?)

'It's a solution, isn't it?'

No comments:

Post a Comment