Friday 1 February 2013

The Sub-Editor - Night Walking

NIGHT WALKING

I dream of a place where I once felt at home; a place of cobbles and rock and stone, built into a hill.  All roads led up to an open moor, wild and raw from the relentless winds that rattle and ravage it, sweeping the landscape and taking your breath. And, after a while, a broken quarry takes you down to earth again.

I dream of a place that is covered in snow and held together with ice. Where silver lights hang from trees and orange candle flames flicker in windows. I think there is music playing there, too.


The pull in my muscles as I head up the hill; tightening in my thighs and aching in my calves. My back is sore from bending forward.  My jaw is fiercely set.  But I can no longer feel my fingers and toes, and my mind is somewhere else.


I have devised a circuit and, every night, I walk it. I always leave the house at ten. Ten pm when the TV news is starting. I learn what I need from the radio (and I'm thinking of getting the paper delivered to the house).

I live on the outskirts of town, a cul-de-sac. If you look at a map the road goes nowhere. But, there is a footpath that crosses an industrial estate, a playground and a public park, and leads directly to the 24-hour Asda.

I walk for a couple of hours each night, till midnight. I walk through well-lit streets and pitch-black alleyways. I walk across tarmac and gravel and grass. I walk under the moon and the stars and the galaxies, but I never escape the sick-thick glow of the neighbouring city's light pollution.

I'm wondering: would it be cheating if I shopped at the supermarket late at night? If I kept my head down and used the self-service tills? The organic supplier doesn't stock all I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment