Wednesday 18 December 2013

Mapping The Territory (9)


MAPPING THE TERRITORY (9)


'Now, listen my dear, you are so damned austere,' she said as she rose from her bed (alas, not another woodshed).

We'd secured lowly shelter from cold winter weather beneath a peculiar rock. 'A good chance,' she had said, 'to take stock.'

'Of what?' I had asked. 'You know we can't last if that planet is heading for earth. We will shatter and burn, unless it soon turns.' 

I was filled with a dubious mirth.

'How strange is your reason; pray, think of the season. (My goodness, how gloomy you are.) Our new 'sun' brings nothing but hope and good cheer. (I wish I'd remembered to pack some strong beer.) 

'My dear, as I say, that it's coming our way fills my soul with excitement; I'm thrilled. (There's no way that it signifies ill.) Burning bright in the night; what a sight to behold. Now, lift up your eyes, be courageous, be bold.

'You may think that the end of the world is soon nigh but I challenge your view, and I'll testify why:

'This 'planet' you see is God's message to us (don't look like that, child and, please, don't make a fuss); yes, God's promise to us (and, we know who we are). Be proud, and bear witness: his new Christmas star.'

No comments:

Post a Comment