Saturday 23 November 2013

Mapping The Territory (2)


MAPPING THE TERRITORY (2)


I maintained a good pace, my eyes fixed on the track; regained my composure (refused to look back).

Through scrubland and dust, tufted grass, fallen trees, I continued to walk; thus, to do as I pleased. I forgot the Priestess and her candid advice. (The woman was bonkers, and not very nice.) When the sun fell to earth and I entered twilight, I began to consider where best spend the night. I put down my pack and unfastened my shoes and reminded myself I had nothing to lose.

If the world were as flat as they all once believed, I would walk to its edge, and fall off, quite relieved. If the world were a sphere (as we all now proclaim) I would walk round and round it until I was lame.

(In the end it would come to the same.)

I re-laced my boots, and I quickened my step and - the moon sailing high - I discovered my bed; a clean metal trailer, a private woodshed.

I lay down and stared at the stars.

I woke as she fastened her bra.

'My child, I've secured you a map of the land. Pray, please do not thank me. I know where you stand. You consider me stupid: an idiot hag. (By the way have you got any wine in your bag?)'

'Who are you?' I said, though I knew in my heart that the Priestess appeared when one's world fell apart.

She looked at me hard.

'I'm the facts you can't face, and a heart-felt embrace; I'm the things you refuse to confront. I will show you the truth, tell you lies as a ruse, and reveal an incredible stunt.

'Travel with me.'

No comments:

Post a Comment