Friday 27 September 2013

Broom (8)


BROOM (8)


If we fail to attract the numbers required, we'll all be redundant: released, or, retired. 

The one with the hoola-hoop rocked on her hips, she crumpled her forehead and chewed on her lips. 'I could do with not yet being fired (even though I'm despondent and tired.)

'You see, though I've always been partial to German rye-bread, I subscribe to the Bible when all's done and said. I believe in a doctrine, when all's said and done; I can't live by yeast-products alone.'

I rubbed my hands with antiseptic gel and raised an eyebrow as if to say, well?

She replied, 'I need butter and jam, or some well-cured ham. I need goats' cheese and Marmite and all. I need fish from a tin, some olives in brine. And, of course, Waitrose's own falafel. 

'I live by myself - all alone. You must see that I need an income.' 

'Then, tell me, how should we recruit?'

She thought for a while: 'a mobile institute?'

'Just what do you mean by that? '

She said, 'being sedentary turns you to fat. I suggest that we get up and go: a pedagogical sort of road show. 

'We'll sow the seeds of passion for photography; revive the cult of heliography. What we need is a bus or a van. (We can hire a driver: a man.) We'll travel the ends of the earth (a car seat will do for a berth.) Yes, I see it quite clear. (You're excited, my dear.) We must get on the road very soon, with a kitted-up mobile darkroom; like Fenton devised (oh, they'll be so surprised). Indeed, with our pop-up facilities, we'll rival all the universities.

'Believe me, we'll always recruit from our peripatetic (empathetic) institute.'

No comments:

Post a Comment