Saturday 18 May 2013

Nescio (2)


NESCIO (2)



We sat at the feet of princes and kings and begged that they tell of the world, and its things. But, their eyes soon grew dim and their words quick grew faint; the woodfire flickered and spat in its grate. Sentimental, nostalgic: it was getting too late. We turned out the lights as we left.

But, there was one: an old queen. He had nothing to say except, 'talk to the priestess. She'll show you the way. Though her sight is nocturnal (she's blind to the day) she'll foretell what the fates have decreed you'.

We found her asleep; her bed was a mess. The mattess was straw. She was partially dressed. Her hair was all tangled with bracken and moss. She opened one eye, said: 'I don't give a toss why you're here but, given you're wasting my time. just pass me that bottle. I'll pour me some wine'.

The wine worked its wonders; she soon came to life. She said, 'I fancy some cheese. Pass the butter-knife please. I fancy some gherkins, some mayo and bread. While you're at it, you couldn't just uncork a red?'

The priestess then added (her mouth full of food), 'now, ask me your question. I'm in a good mood'. 

We glance at each other - so close to each other - there is nothing so special as sister and brother. We glance at each other. He takes hold of my hand. And, though he is older, I soon understand. It is me who must speak with the witch.

'Please tell me, oh priestess, just what is in store? Should we pray for much less, or hope for much more? And, what of our parents; just what are they for?' My brother is silent, his eye on the door.

The priestess adjusts her breasts in her bra; repositions its strap on her shoulder. The sun has begun to rise in the East. She is looking decidedly older.

She said:

'The brother and father will kill one another, but, it ain't up to me to say how. Nor is it my job to advise in which order but please note these words about mother and daugher. The former will start to depend on the latter. She'll demand from her child things I'm not sure she oughta.

'Stay children as long as you can.'

No comments:

Post a Comment