Sunday 7 April 2013

The Sub-Editor - If You Turn You May Lose The World, Orpheus


IF YOU TURN YOU MAY LOSE THE WORLD, ORPHEUS


He said:

'I found her there.
Her cold, still stare.
Dead by a vipers' nest.

'Consumed with grief,
In disbelief I cursed 
The fates.
I grew to hate.

'But I played to the gods.
Enchanted tune.
Seduced and reduced;
sentimental swoon.

'Sentimental, they were; 
no heart-felt there.
My heart was broken
They did not care.

'Sentimental, they wept:
"Let the woman live free".
A caveat, of course:
The onus on me.

'The pressure on me
Not to turn back and see.
Yield to my joy
My anxiety.

'I was given a chance
To recoup what I'd lost;
To retrieve the woman
I'd lost at my cost.
To retrieve the woman
I loved to death

'Should have checked
My excitement.
Held my breath.'

No comments:

Post a Comment