Tuesday 26 March 2013

The Sub-Editor - Bong-Tree

BONG-TREE


She said:

'So, we sailed away for a year and a day to the land where the Bong-tree grows. . .'

She said: 

'Yes, we went to sea, just you and me, to a place that no one else knows.'  

She rolled onto her tummy and turned her head towards mine.  She whispered in my ear:

'A magical land inhabited by trees that stood like fat old gentlemen, their wide girths bulging and their fingers gnarled and curled.  And ancient rocks with pebbles and pockets that we climbed up and sat on to eat. And herds of deer that moved like shadows.  And a castle with turrets and fairy-tale towers. And a river that shone in the sun like silver.

'At night, we laid down next to each other, cocooned in our sleeping bags but still together.  

'And we smoked as we stared at the stars.'

She said:

'I was never happier than in that place. I had all that I wanted and needed.' 


No comments:

Post a Comment