Wednesday 14 March 2012

Some Jobs About Which The School Careers Officer Failed To Inform Me (2)

Para-psychology


The Edinburgh College of Para-Psychology is a 'non-denominational charity organisation' which aims - among other things - to 'provide a better understanding of life after death'.


In addition, it offers a 'Paranormal Investigations' service. Led by trained mediums, this service discreetly explores the possible cause behind 'strange events and unexplained noises' - from lights flickering to inanimate items moving independently of any identifiable form of intervention. (http://www.parapsychology.org.uk)


The most alarming thing about this website is that, when cutting and pasting quotations from it, the words remain invisible on the page until you 'preview' the blog; though the spirit of the words is there, the body of the text is not. Even more unsettling: any subsequent text remains unseen too, until published.


This means that I am currently writing this post 'blind'; relying on my touch-typing skills; an option I took at school because I was too poor at Physics to be entered for the 'O' Level examination in 1985. 


Now, I was going to say that I wish someone had told me I could have been a Para-psychologist. I am genuinely interested to know if there is life after death, though I really don't know what scares me most: the inevitability of mortality or the promise of eternity. But according to the Society for Psychical Research website, careers in Para-psychology are few and far between. For most, including those with a doctorate qualification in the discipline, research remains but a leisure-time pursuit.


Unless, perhaps, you belong to the Paranormal Investigations Squad. I, for one, am about to contact them . . .  

No comments:

Post a Comment