Saturday 26 November 2011

Reasons To Go 0.6 (Part Five)

The Written Assessment




She said: 'Where to start?  That's always the problem.  Personally speaking, I'm no fan of the historical survey or theoretical stratagem.  Memory's selective, the omissions always glaring. That said, it's what you leave out, not put in, that's always more interesting. But, please, mark my words - you must provide a context.  Can't expect critical analysis if one doesn't know the circumstances.  Are you listening?' she suddenly demanded.  'You should probably write this down.


'Another thing', she added,  'and this is important.  I maintain it's not possible to separate structure from content.   If I can refer you to the Written Assessment Manual (new edition), you'll see that 'signposting' is essential.  Make clear what you're saying; you don't want to be misconstrued. Let the sentences, the paragraphs, the episodes flow; whether enumerative, additive or - even - constructive.  Aim for integrity and precision, don't try to be clever.  The point is this: the prose must be persuasive, seductive, concise, not evasive.  I trust I don't need to remind you about split infinitives?


'I generally find a pertinent quotation is the best way to start.  Get the show on the road and the horse before the cart.  But remember to source the author you've decided to reference.  Harvard is the method we prefer for citations.  And, don't forget, plagiarism is an academic offence.  It's stealing, and it's wrong.  Acknowledge that person who has succeeded in articulating what you've been trying, and failing, to say for so long.'


'We must leave it there,' interrupted the mental health nurse.  'When I've written up the notes from your assessment, I'll send you the transcript.  The same one I'll put to the Psychology Department, to see if you're fit for intensive therapy.'


(Photo: Mike Berry)






No comments:

Post a Comment